A HAPPY POLLOCK - UN POLLOCK HEUREUX

English Version - *version française dessous*


HAPPY JACKSON POLLOCKS

There are five painters who had a major influence on my art journey.  The first were Degas, Monet and Van Gogh.  I loved Degas’ dancers, Monet’s landscapes and Van Gogh’s use of colour.  Then I discovered Quebec’s own Jean-Paul Riopelle.  The last major influence was Jackson Pollock.

 

The first time I saw one of his paintings in the early 90’s I didn’t understand what all the fuss was about.  But as time went on, I began to appreciate the beauty of his art… especially his drip paintings.  I began to read everything I could about Pollock and his life.  I watched all the films on his sad life and art.  Today, when I visit a museum and see his paintings, they take my breath away!  Pollocks works are stunning and make me feel alive!

 

Like Pollock, many of my larger canvases are painted on the floor and I use bottles with different sized needles to create my own type of drip technique.  Often, people visit my studio and say some of my abstract paintings remind them of Jackson Pollock.  But I don’t think they come close.  His paintings are very complex, and I believe, come from his conflicted personality.

I like to tell these visitors that my life has had only joy and happiness and I create “Happy Jackson Pollocks”! 


PHOTO: Number One, 1950 (Lavender Mist) by Jackson Pollock.  National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.


Version française


JACKSON POLLOCKS HEUREUX

 

Il y a cinq peintres qui ont eu une influence majeure sur mon parcours artistique. Les premiers furent Degas, Monet et Van Gogh. J’ai adoré les danseuses de Degas, les paysages de Monet et l’utilisation de la couleur par Van Gogh. Puis j’ai découvert le Québécois Jean-Paul Riopelle. La dernière influence majeure fut Jackson Pollock.

 

La première fois que j’ai vu un de ses tableaux au début des années 90, je n’ai pas compris pourquoi on en faisait tout un plat. Mais au fil du temps, j’ai commencé à apprécier la beauté de son art… surtout ses peintures drip. J’ai commencé à lire tout ce que je pouvais sur Pollock et sa vie. J’ai regardé tous les films sur sa triste vie et son art. Aujourd’hui, quand je visite un musée et que je vois ses tableaux, ils me coupent le souffle ! Les œuvres de Pollock sont époustouflantes et me font me sentir vivant !

 

Comme Pollock, beaucoup de mes grandes toiles sont peintes au sol et j’utilise des bouteilles avec des aiguilles de différentes tailles pour créer mon propre type de technique drip. Souvent, les gens viennent dans mon atelier et disent que certaines de mes peintures abstraites leur rappellent Jackson Pollock. Mais je ne pense pas qu’elles s’en rapprochent. Ses peintures sont très complexes et, je crois, viennent de sa personnalité complexe.

 

J’aime dire à ces visiteurs que ma vie n’a été que joie et bonheur et que je crée des « Jackson Pollock heureux » !



PHOTO: Number One, 1950 (Lavender Mist) par Jackson Pollock.  National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY EARLIEST PAINTING - MA PREMIÈRE PEINTURE

WHY SUNFLOWERS ? - POURQUOI DES TOURNESOLS?

WORKING IN A FACTORY - TRAVAILLER DANS UNE USINE