LATE BEGINNINGS - DÉBUTS TARDIFS

 English Version - *version française dessous*  

LATE BEGINNINGS

My first wife bought me a paint set for Christmas in 1988.  It was a beginners set for oil painting and had a small 5" x 7" canvas along with an instruction booklet on how to paint several different images. 

 

In the spring of 1989, I tried it out.  Because I have kept a daily diary since the age of 23, I know the exact date.  It was Sunday, April 16 th, 1989.

 

I choose a winter farm scene and carefully followed the instructions.  To be frank, it was almost like “paint-by-numbers” but without the lines and numbers!

 

After about five hours of effort, I told myself "nice try... Don't quit your day time job!" 

At that point in time, I had no intention of continuing and put the painting and the set on a shelf in my garage. I literally forgot about it for about three weeks. Then on Saturday, May 6th, I had to get something out of the garage.

 

I noticed the painting, looked at it and took a brush, and put a couple of strokes of white paint on the barn to get a winter effect.  All of a sudden, the painting looked entirely different and was much better. 

 

After that, I was hooked… but I was not about to quit my daytime job!  LOL! 

 

FYI... my sister Rosanne still has that first painting!

 

PHOTO/S: MY FIRST PAINTING

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Version française


DÉBUTS TARDIFS

 

Ma première femme m'a acheté un kit de peinture pour Noël en 1988. C'était un kit pour débutants en peinture à l'huile et il contenait une petite toile de 5" x 7" ainsi qu'un livret d'instructions sur la façon de peindre plusieurs images différentes.

Au printemps 1989, je l'ai essayé. Parce que je tiens un journal quotidien depuis l'âge de 23 ans, je connais la date exacte. C'était le dimanche 16 avril 1989.

J'ai choisi une scène de ferme hivernale et j'ai suivi attentivement les instructions. Pour être franc, c’était presque comme de la « peinture par numéros », mais sans les lignes ni les chiffres !

Après environ cinq heures d'effort, je me suis dit "Bien essayé... Ne quitte pas ton travail de jour!"

 À ce moment-là, je n’avais pas l’intention de continuer et j’ai mis le tableau et le décor sur une étagère de mon garage. Je l'ai littéralement oublié pendant environ trois semaines. Puis le samedi 6 mai, j'ai dû sortir quelque chose du garage. 

 

J'ai remarqué le tableau, je l'ai regardé, j'ai pris un pinceau et j'ai appliqué quelques coups de peinture blanche sur la grange pour obtenir un effet hivernal. Tout d’un coup, le tableau était complètement différent et bien meilleur.

Après, je suis devenue accro… mais je n’étais pas près de quitter mon travail de jour ! MDR!

Pour info... ma sœur Rosanne a encore ce premier tableau !

PHOTO/S : MA PREMIÈRE PEINTURE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY EARLIEST PAINTING - MA PREMIÈRE PEINTURE

WHY SUNFLOWERS ? - POURQUOI DES TOURNESOLS?

MY THREE RULES FOR PAINTING - MES TROIS RÈGLES POUR PEINDRE